Table of Contents
Are you taking your furry friend along for hiking? If yes, you need to understand that you also need special hiking gear for dogs, especially when they will be hiking more than 200 miles. In this article, you can find eight of the most essential dog hiking gear for your next fun trip with your furry friend.
It is necessary to get a few essentials so that your furry friend can move comfortably and flexibly. Some of the essentials include water, food, clothing, collar, first aid kit, and many more.
Pros and Cons of hiking with dogs
To have a convenient and seamless experience with your dogs, you must be aware of the pros and cons of hiking with dogs.
Here are some of the pros of hiking with your dog:
1. Dogs are great companions - Dogs can be a great companion and help you stay happy throughout your trip. Having your four-legged friend means you cannot feel lonely.
2. Good for health - Hiking and socializing can be good for a dog’s health as well. Additionally, it will also keep you healthy mentally.
Here are the cons you need to keep in mind:
1. Dogs cannot carry extra weight - Hiking with dogs is hard and unsafe, especially over a long distance. They cannot carry extra weight. You will have to keep this in mind while taking them.
2. Dogs need training classes - Sometimes, basic commands are not enough. There are chances you will have to train them first to maintain their safety.
Must-have Hiking Gear for Dogs
Have you thought about the special kinds of dog gears your dog will need for hiking? It is a good idea to hike and explore the world with your active dogs. However, it is essential to pack the below-mentioned gears for your furry friend’s needs.
A paw protection wear for your dogs that will allow them to walk peacefully. You should measure the widest part of the dog’s paw to select the right size for your dog. This gear will support optimal traction and ensure you have a safe journey with your furry friend.
Get yours here!
A hands-free leash is very convenient and ideal for long distances. You can use this to keep your hand free while maintaining the safety of your dog. One side of the leash will be attached to your dog’s collar, while the other will fit you like a belt.
K9 Pack is an amazing harness and gear that will prepare your dog for hiking. It comes with added water resistance and storage. It is an adjustable harness that will keep your dog protected from unpredictable weather and conditions. Mountainsmith K9 Pack is available in three sizes: small, medium and large. You can check it according to the size of your dog.
Buy here now.
You should keep this dog first-aid kit handy to help your dog in an emergency. A dog first aid kit is one of the essential items to help and protect your dog. It is critical to be prepared for the critical conditions in the field. You won’t be able to buy these emergency supplies in the mountains. Therefore, having a dog first-aid kit is essential and will help your hunting companion from porcupine encounters to major injuries.
Get it for your dog here!
A Dog Collapsible Dog Bowl will keep your dog hydrated and fed during the hiking journey. It will allow you and your dog to enjoy the adventure and explore the beauty together. It comes in various colors. The bowl can hold up to 16 ounces of water or food. It is a leak-proof bowl constructed with durable coated nylon.
Buy it here now!
Dogs are also exposed to heating temperatures and huge sunlight. To protect your dogs, it is recommended to use a sun protector. You can consider getting EPi-Pet Sun Protector, which is water-resistant and easy to apply. This is the only FDA compliant pet sun protector that comes in non-greasy and non-oily form. Get this for your dog and make him ready for exciting adventures.
Buy it here.
GPS Dog Collar
The Fi Series 2 dog collar is another gear that will protect your dog. Usually, it comes in four colour options and is available in four different sizes. You can easily replace it with a new one if it gets dirty. The collar by Fi also comes with a GPS tracking antenna unit. You will also get a Fi charging base and a one-year warranty on the product.
Doo Doo Tube Filled Dog Waste Bag Holder is a portable bag that carries smelly dog poops. This bag holder is reusable and is also easy to use and clean. Therefore, you should keep this Doo Doo Tube Filled Dog Waste Bag Holder while going for a hike or any other adventurous trip.
Get it here now.
Safety tips when hiking with dogs
Most dogs love hiking with their humans. Here are a few safety tips you should keep in mind.
1. Pack necessary dog gear accordingly - You never know what kind of climate conditions you will face. Therefore, you should pack all necessary dog gear items according to the weather conditions. For example, pack a jacket for the winter season or pack a raincoat for a rainy area.
2. Pack an extra water bottle – You must always pack a separate water bottle for your dog when you go hiking.
3. Carry a garbage bag for dog waste - Make sure you carry a garbage bag to gather your dog waste or poop.
4. Protect your dog from fleas and ticks - Make sure that your dog has been given flea and tick prevention before the trip and they are free from all the diseases.
Hiking with active dogs is a beneficial activity for both humans and dogs. You must ensure your dog is healthy and should prepare for emergency conditions. Pack all these necessary items if you plan to go hiking with your dog.